Sunday 18 October 2009

knit and stitch

While it may have been very quiet for montyknits on the internet front, I beg you please do not assume I have been lazy while away! It has been a hectic month or so and not least because I spent a very busy long weekend at the Stitch and Knit show at Ally Pally, manning the loop stand.
It was beautifully warm and clear early Autumn weather, just perfect to view the city from Ally Pally's summit (walking up every morning from my house felt like a mountain climb, believe me!)


Loop's stand was very busy, so I only managed this quick snap of the prettiest wall - notice Syd rabbit in pride of place!



The habu stand is always a highlight of the show and this year was no exception. My only trouble is, however much I love their yarn, I always want to keep it on the cone or skein and maybe box mount it so I can stare at its loveliness always...! Unfortunately my budget does not allow for such frivolity, although I do have some of their silk steel which will hopefully be prised from its cone very soon!



Just down the lane from the loop stand was the wonderful Woolfish, where I spent a happy break from loop's madness watching the fabulously chunky roving sold there being literally hand knitted - or should that be arm knitted?


I always make time for the graduate and art exhibits in the show and this year was not a disappointment.
I loved the work of Sarah Burton from Manchester Met University, who was inspired by knots and ropes and produced very fine, structured knits with fantastic details.
In contrast, the natural, organic chunkiness of George Strood's garments was irresistably fun and interesting.
It was a fun, if tiring weekend and at least working the show meant that I did not have a whole day to go round spending my money! I did however come away with piles of amazing fabrics from Fabrics Galore, where the fabulous motto is 'Champagne fabrics at lemonade prices!' and so it is understandable that the the entire loop staff succumbed to its charms. I shall hopefully be using these purchases to further my sewing skills and will post the results asap.
I also bought some tatting shuttles and threads to enable me to add yet another craft to my list of thread skills, more on that soon too.
What temptations did you give in to this year? Would love to know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really love the sweater on the wall in that bottom photo! Very cool projects!

Good luck with the tatting shuttles! Good for you for trying on the tatting! Let me know if I can point you in the right direction or help you out in anyway. I have been shuttle tatting for almost 30 years now and have a tatting blog! Come on over to visit any time! :)

Aveen said...

I missed it this year! The drawbacks of not living in London anymore. I might try and get to the Harrogate one but it won't be the same :(

claire montgomerie said...

well, you only missed spending money!!!:)

and a great blog tattingchic, I shall be following you for tips, many thanks for the heads up!
claire x